Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Trip to India - Update 3.






Today is an AWESOME day.  It is a religious holiday for Hindu's called "Holi" and one of the things that happens is people run through the streets and throw powder paint on everyone.  Sounds amazing?  You're right, it does.  Last night from my hotel room I heard someone yelling in the alley outside.  I looked out and 4 guys jumped a man in a business suit and poured paint on him.  The people here go all out and it is outrageous.  So last night my friend and I wanted to go out and see if we could get in on the action.  We walked out and a security guard pulled a rifle on us... which was wild.  He let us out of the hotel and once we got in the streets 4 guys started following us with paint.  I was flipping out and went back in the hotel.  


Today I definitely wanted to be a part of this great opportunity to get painted up.  So, a few of us went out on the streets.  When you pass someone and tell them "Happy Holi" they dump powder paint all over you.  So we did that... and we definitely ended up being quite colorful.  it was wild.  Check out the pictures from this wild celebration.


Today is a fairly relaxed day.  We are just hanging around the hotel until this evening and we will be heading back to Calcutta.  I am not looking forward to the 7 hour train ride and i will definitely miss this hotel and the internet access.  Please pray for me and the group as we travel back tonight.  The train leaves at 7:45 which is 10:15 AM back home.  We will ride through the night and be back in Calcutta in the morning.


i also put up some pictures from yesterday evening when we visited some waterfalls in this area.  It was such a beautiful place and a great thing to see!  I almost jumped off a cliff into the water but I decided not to.


Enjoy the pictures!  Happy Holi!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Brandon. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." I Cor. 1:3,4

A sister in Christ from East Brainerd Church of Christ. Chattanooga, Tenn.